Thursday, September 4, 2008

Some things I have learned on the job

I'm almost through my first week of work (it's Friday here) and I thought it would be fun to share not only my experiences but some of the many phrases I have picked up.

My first week was hectic. Monday was a whirlwind, I met at least 65 people before 3pm and by the time I got home at 6pm I had a proposal to work on, trainings to complete and head that was spinning. Also, taking 3 months off of work definitely made the adjustment a little harder. I fell asleep at 7:45pm on Monday, made it all the way till 9:30 on Tuesday and then of course stayed up really late (11pm) on Wednesday when I had to be up at 4:45am the next day to catch my flight to Auckland.

All in all, I really like the office. We have about 60 or so practitioners in the Wellington office and another 60 or so in Auckland and its very important to our leadership that we view ourselves as a national, rather than regional practice. Therefore everyone, knows everyone. For example, in pursuit of some information, I called a colleague in Auckland (as recommended to me). When he answered the phone "hello Perin" instead of just hello, I was caught off guard. Then I quickly commented, how he must have picked up my name through through our caller ID, to which he replied, "your'e the new manager from San Francisco". Basically what I'm trying to convey is that its a personal environment and everyone, knows everybody.

I am currently attending our "All Hands" meeting in Auckland and its been really nice to meet all the partners (all 5 of them) and the rest of the practitioners. Prior to coming we were sent an email regarding the dress code. One of the items said "No Jandals". So I enquired what a Jandal was to which I got a reply, "No thongs". No thongs? Why do they care what underwear I wear? Finally it was clarified that jandal is Kiwi, thongs is Australian and in the US and UK we call them flip-flops (hehe).

I have to be downstairs in a meeting in about 20 minutes and I'm still in my PJ's so I'll keep this post short, but I've been capturing a lot of interesting sayings and new words that I definitely want to share with everyone. For example, Togs for a kiwi is a bathing suit (also known as a swimming costume) where as Togs for a South African (of which our practice has many) is your Rugby boots.

I also learned that when computers used disks instead of CD's, South African's called the two different types floppies and stiffies. So can you imagine the first time the partner entered the room and asked if anyone had a "stiffy"? I was laughing so hard at this story last night.

I also heard a funny story of a German colleague who was trying to use the english phase "spoon fed" and instead the sentence came out "I can believe I have to breast feed the client". Another burst out laughing story.

Just so you know they don't use sidewalks here, they are called footpaths, and to sound like a kiwi turn your I's in U's. So it would Fush and Chups (instead of Fish and Chips) and if you want an Australian accent, I been told to turn my I's into E's. So it would be Feesh and Cheeps.

Everyone here calls me Peerin (prounced like peer-in) and so after a few drinks last night the "peerin-perin" story came out. For those of you that don't know that story I suggest you ask Jon Poynter as its not quite too appropriate for the blog (though I swear I didn't see anything!)

Ok, gotta run. Got 15 minutes to get dressed and I've been up since 7am on phone calls with the US (for work). I will post again tomorrow with all the other funny stuff I have learned.

Love,
Perin

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Sounds like you're getting acclimated etc...Peerin =)
Love and miss you!

Anonymous said...

Hey Per/"Peer"and Paul- Glad you are both doing well! Great new place and view-enjoy it! Loving your blog posts too... Missing you guys so the blog helps! Will be sure to stay posted for blue penguin sightings :) With lots of love from New York, xoxoxo, Steph & Randy

Goodrich Not The Tire said...

I love the blog guys!! Will check it often. Thank god for Paul and his great posts.

love you both!!