Monday, November 30, 2009

Summer weather!


It's heading into summer here, so we get sunny days more frequently. Last week, we had two! As you can see on the forecast here, we are preparing for the bright sunniness that will be partially covered by clouds when it shows up on Sunday. I'm going to wear sun glasses.

When it rains now, it is much warmer than the winter rains. Our winter had pouring rain and airport-closing wind, but no snow. I'm becoming rather obsessed with the weather and will probably post more updates about the rain if it keeps up. I'm ready for the sun!

Soccer is going well. My all-men's indoor team had a particularly rough game last night. After 5 flagrant fouls, the other team is awarded a penalty kick. We scored two goals off penalty kicks before the first half was over. The game heated up from there and both teams got numerous penalty shots. Regardless, my team won. Playing seven to ten games a week has improved my fitness dramatically. I don't really go to the gym anymore which isn't a bad thing.

Our classes are ending next week. I have my big improv performance on Saturday night and Perin will get some pictures and maybe some video to share. Hopefully it's entertaining. Perin's sewing class finishes and she's almost finished her sun dress she plans to wear in Hawaii. We've both signed up for classes in the new year - I've got Mandarin lessons and Perin's taking another sewing class.

Adult-education classes have historically be subsidized by the government, but the National (conservative) party is in power and it cutting funding for next year. So many of the smaller schools will not be offering classes next term and fees have gone up for everyone. Our school wasn't closed and it's still a pretty good deal, so I'm sure we'll take heaps of classes over the next year.

Work is slowing down a bit as we head in the summer/holiday break. Because I don't have too much to do, I procrastinate and then don't get anything done. And then I stress out a bit at having not done enough at the end of the day. At least I'm getting my exercise!

I heard on the radio about Christmas lights competitions, but I don't think I've seen a single house that has them up here. I think part of the reason is that we're heading into summer and the sun doesn't set until 8:30pm. Christmas ads have Santa wearing shorts and jandals, but it was explained to us that all the "white Christmas" stories are accepted by children here because they understand that he lives in the northern hemisphere and know that it's cold there.


With no Thanksgiving here, it's okay for holiday parties to start much earlier in the year. I think our first party was over two weeks ago. It makes more sense than cramming them all in together at the end of the year. And you can attend them all with less stress. My first work party was at the Staglands Wildlife Preserve and we saw all kinds of cute baby animals and walked around. Check out some of the animals we saw here.

No comments: