Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The willpower to finish

So I have been putting off a final post from my trip because I've been procrastinating about putting the pictures together. There are many pictures, so I decided to do them in installments. Here is part 1 (of 2):

SE Asia

We got back to Bangkok okay and then we spent hours trying to find the grilled squid cart. Finally found him and he was all out! So we ordered some from a restaurant near our hotel and it was good. I decided that if we can find super fresh squid, I will cook it!

Andrew and I were both running low on steam. The bike ride from Saigon to the airport was pretty crazy. They wouldn't let us ride our bikes to the international terminal, and when we went to the domestic terminal, they said we had to leave the airport and but our bikes in a taxi and drive up to the terminal. So we pretended like were going to, then rode the wrong way down a one-way street leaving the airport, got into the domestic terminal and walked our bikes to the international terminal. We showed them!

We ran into a jerk American our last night in Saigon (basically, he treated everyone like crap and left us with his bar tab) and all we could talk about our last days was what a jerk he was. Oh, and a dirtbag. He was a dirtbag too and we discussed that as well. He teaches English at some school and pays for Viet hookers when he has stressful weeks. But we didn't know that until late in the night. We met him when we found a place to get cheap beers and he seemed interesting, plus he invited us to get appetizers and a great place he knew. We got our first suspisions of his jerkiness when he thought the price for the appetizers was unfair and crumpled up the receipt (rather large paper) and threw it in the face of the manager! It went downhill from there. Enough about the jerk for now!

We went to Thai kickboxing for my last night here and it was pretty fun. We kept wishing Ben (the jerk) was there so we could practice moves on him. When the action paused, we stepped on cockroaches instead - there were a lot of them and we both got the heebie jeebies feeling like they were crawling all over us. Just writing about it makes me itch all over again LOL. Highlight of the muay thai: one guy got kicked and started vomiting all over the ring. Knockout!

My last day in Bangkok was spent getting everything ready to come home, eating a few last delacacies, and picking up the clothes I had tailored for Perin and myself. I made it home safe and sound and slightly tan.

My suits turned out well because I had several fittings. Perin's clothes turned out nicely as well, but they had to be fitted by a tailor again here. Still, if you need a whole new wardrobe, it's probably better to fly to Bangkok and get everything you want custom made. It's cheaper and you get a trip to Bangkok!

No comments: